Who doesn’t love tacos? These kidney friendly fish tacos are some of my favorite! They are a perfect quick, weeknight dinner.
Taco Tuesday here we come!
Fish Taco Toppings
These fish tacos are topped with a little spicy cabbage slaw and avocado. But, feel free to mix it up with your favorite taco toppings.
Other delicious fish taco toppings:
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
Substitutions for Fish
If you aren’t a big fish fan, you can easily swap out the fish for shrimp!
You could also use other fish such as salmon, catfish, halibut or tuna.
For a plant based taco, toss chickpeas or diced sweet potatoes in spices and bake until done!
Low Potassium Fish Tacos
This recipe is fairy high in potassium from the avocado. If you need to limit potassium, leave off the avocado to lower potassium to 570mg per 3 tacos!
Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- 1 pound cod or tilapia
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cups red cabbage shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled & shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced or chopped
- Season fish with chili powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook fish 3-5 minutes per side, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Set aside.
- Make slaw. In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, cilantro and green onion. In a small bowl, combine mayo, lime juice and sriracha. Toss dressing with slaw.
- Build tacos with fish, slaw and avocado. Add extra lime wedges to garnish your tacos if you are feeling fancy!