Mmm! Grain salads.
Grain salads are seriously some of my favorite recipe. Toss some fiber-filled grain with a ton of veggies, some tasty dressing, and I am a happy camper!
Mix It Up!
The best part about this salad, or any grain salad, is that they are SO easy to make your own. You can personalize this recipe based on your taste preferences or nutrition needs. After all, a renal diet is different for everyone.
Don’t love cucumber? Swap it for some green bell pepper.
Don’t have couscous on hand? Swap it for quinoa.
You get the idea.
How to Serve Greek Couscous Salad
All By Itself
This recipe can be a wonderful low protein entrée all by itself! This low protein option is great for people with advanced kidney disease who need to follow a very low protein diet. I recommend increasing the portion to 2 cups to make sure you get enough energy.
Plant Based Meal
If you need some extra protein, top it with your favorite kind! For a plant based protein option, add a can of low sodium garbanzo or other type of bean.
Or, top it with some baked or pan-fried tofu. Boiled lentils would also be a tasty addition.
With Animal Protein
Or, top this salad with some grilled shrimp, salmon or chicken. Yum!
Greek Couscous Salad
- 1 1/2 cup Israeli pearl couscous
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 large cucumber chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives halved
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- Cook the couscous. In a medium saucepot, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add couscous and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for about 10 minutes, until couscous is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff cooked couscous with a fork. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make dressing. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Combine cooked and cooled couscous with dressing and remaining ingredients. Mix and enjoy!