Mixed Vegetable Curry
Servings: 6 1 1/2 cup curry; 1/2 rice
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil divided
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbs red curry paste
- 1 cup unsweetened, light coconut milk
- 1 sweet potato peeled & cut into 1" pieces
- 1 small cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 15oz can low sodium garbanzo beans drained & rinsed
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Cook rice. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and half the onion. Cook, stirring often until onion is soft, 3 minutes.Add rice and stir to combine. Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer; cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring often until soft, 3 minutes. Add curry paste and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk and 1 cup water and bring to a boil.Add sweet potato, cauliflower, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add chickpeas to vegetable mixture and increase heat to high. Simmer rapidly until liquid reduces slightly, 2 minutes. Serve curry over rice with cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 1/2 cup curry + 1/2 cup rice): 346 calories, 8g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate, 7.8g fiber, 0g added sugar, 9.5g protein, 54mg calcium, 460mg potassium, 250mg phosphorus, 29mg oxalate (17mg if curry alone; 23mg if sub white for brown rice) May substitute 2 Tbs curry powder for curry paste. Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart