Spicy Black Bean Soup
Tasty black bean soup full of veggies and a kick!
Servings: 9 1 cup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 15oz can low sodium black beans drained & rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and salt. Cook,stirring constantly, until onions are translucent.
- Add jalapeno, carrot, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes.Cook until vegetables are soft, 7-9 minutes.
- Add broth, corn and beans. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook until beans are very soft and flavors are combined, 20 minutes.
- Using a standing or immersion blender, blend half the soup, or to your preferred texture.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro and black pepper.
- Top with about 2 tablespoon avocado, 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 tablespoon sour cream. Add extra cilantro or lime juice, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 cup with toppings): 311 calories, 12g fat, 4g saturated fat, 17mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, 0.5g added sugar, 14g protein, 200mg calciu, 712mg potassium, 272mg phosphorus, 149mg oxalate