Are you craving egg rolls but don’t want to order take out? This egg roll in a bowl recipe will satisfy your take-out craving without all the salt! Plus, it is a great way to sneak in some tasty veggies!
Why Egg Roll in a Bowl?
This recipe is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! The whole meal comes together in about 30 minutes. Plus, it is a much healthier version of take-out egg rolls.
Of course, egg rolls are traditionally fried. Which adds quite a few extra calories and unhealthy fat. This egg roll in a bowl recipe has all the great flavor of traditional egg rolls without the fried shell. You will still get some satisfying crunch from the crispy wontons on top!
Lower Sodium Egg Roll
Take-out egg rolls are usually packed with sodium. One egg roll has about 550mg of sodium, or, about a quarter of the sodium you should have for an entire day! This egg roll in a bowl recipe has about half the sodium of take-out egg rolls. Plus, this recipe can be your entire meal! I don’t know about you, but I certainly would not be full after just one egg roll!
This recipe is packed with flavor from fresh ginger, garlic, lime juice and green onion. Rather than getting flavor from salt and a ton of soy sauce.
Want to make this recipe even lower in sodium? Swap out the low sodium soy sauce for coconut aminos*!
Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl
This egg roll in a bowl can easily be made vegetarian. Simply swap out the chicken for an extra 8oz of mushrooms. Or, substitute tofu for the ground chicken.
I like to serve this egg roll in a bowl over rice. It is also delicious over some rice or other type of Asian noodles. Or, if you are wanting to limit carbs, this recipe is tasty as is.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 2 tsp sesame oil divided
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 14 oz bag coleslaw mix
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped & divided
- 4 green onions sliced, whites & green separated
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup fried wonton strips
- In a large sided skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned.
- Add coleslaw mix, mushrooms, garlic and white parts of green onion. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce. Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, juice from 1/2 the lime, Sriracha and cornstarch together.
- Add sauce to chicken & cabbage mixture. Cook 1-2 minutes, until well combined.
- Serve garnished with sliced green parts of green onion, lime wedges and 2 tablespoons wonton strips per serving. Serve over rice if desired. Enjoy!
*Please note that this post contains clearly identified affiliate links. If you click on these links and choose to make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no cost to you). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.