This old fashioned cucumbers and onions in vinegar recipe just screams summer to me. I have fond memories of my mom making this recipe for pot lucks and summer barbecues.
And even better, this dish is kidney friendly!
Cucumber salads, like this one, are a delicious way to get some extra vegetables into your meals. This recipe is so refreshing. The perfect option for a hot summer day!
How To Serve Old Fashioned Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar
I usually serve this recipe as a side dish. It will often make an appearance along with grilled chicken and corn on the cob.
You could bulk up this recipe with some more vegetables and a little protein to make it a main dish! Sliced tomatoes or blanched green beans would be delicious additions! Add a can of low sodium garbanzo beans for an extra boost of fiber and a little protein. You are good to go!
Old Fashioned Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar Ingredients
- Cucumbers – obviously a must for this recipe. Both English and conventional cucumbers work in this recipe. I prefer to leave the peel on the cucumbers for some extra color and fiber! But, cucumbers are traditionally peeled in most old fashioned cucumbers and onions in vinegar recipes
- Onions – nearly any onion works too! I like the flavor of sweet onion for this recipe the best. Red onions also give the dish a lovely color!
- Vinegar – I usually use plain old distilled white vinegar for this recipe. But, you could definitely get fancy and use flavored vinegar for an extra punch of flavor. Apple cider vinegar would be delicious too!
- Oil – I like to use a neutral flavored oil like canola or vegetable oil for this recipe. I find olive oil to have a bit too strong of a flavor for this recipe.
- Spices – just enough to give the dish some life!
Are Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar Healthy?
Absolutely! This recipe is filled with vegetables and is low in sodium and fat. Most of the flavor in this recipe comes from the vinegar, which gives it a delicious bite, and herbaceous dill.
There is a little added sugar in this recipe. However, one serving only contains 2 grams of added sugar and 5 grams of total carbohydrate.
Old Fashioned Cucumbers and Onions in Vinegar
- 3 cucumbers sliced thin
- 1 sweet or red onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dill weed dried
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Mix or toss to combine.
- Let cucumbers and onions marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. The longer the better!